Dream count 2002-2020 (Part 2)

In part 1 of this dream research project I go over how many dreams I had by season, day of the week, and Moon phase. You can read more about that here.

In this article I will go over my findings that are specifically astrological in nature. We'll look at the total number of dreams by:

  • sun sign (tropical)

  • moon sign (tropical)

  • sun/moon sign element

  • sun/moon sign modality

  • prevalence of out of bounds planets

  • prevalence of eclipses

Dreams by Sun Sign



It is often taught in modern astrology that Pisces (and co-ruler Neptune) is associated with all things dreamy. I wondered if that meant I would find more dreams occurring while either the Sun or Moon was in Pisces. It turns out this was not the case for me at all. 

Out of 1335 dreams, 96 (7.2%) occurred while the Sun was in Pisces. This is surprisingly few compared to some of the other signs. Cancer actually had the most dreams, 188 (14.1%), twice as many as Pisces. Leo was next with 175 (13.1%) which was also surprising to me. 

Cancer makes sense because it is a water sign ruled by the Moon (subconscious), thus more about feeling and intuition. But Leo, being ruled by the Sun, representing more waking-life conscious, was not what I was expecting to be the close second.

As you can see from part one, Cancer and Leo are summer signs, which is the season I had the overwhelming majority of total dreams.

 

 Dreams by Moon sign

For Moon sign dream totals, the results were also surprising. Since the Moon (subconscious) is at home (domicile) in Cancer, then I would be more likely to have more dreams while the Moon was in Cancer, right? Well, for me this was not the case at all. Cancer Moon dreams were the second fewest at 90 out of 1335 (6.7%). 

The Moon sign with the most dreams turned out to be Aries with 144 out of 1335 dreams (10.8%). I was surprised to see the element of fire be so prominent again. In addition to this, the day I had the highest number of dreams (11) was when the Sun was in Leo and the Moon in Aries.

What did make more sense was Taurus being the 2nd most common Moon sign for my dreams at 139 (10.4%). Taurus is the sign of the Moon's exaltation so to me it makes sense that I should have so many dreams during this time. The total difference between Aries and Taurus is only five dreams so I am curious to see how this plays out once I add dreams for 2021 and on.


Dreams by Sun sign element + modality

The sun sign element that had the most number of dreams is water with 365 out of 1335 (26.66%). Next was fire at 348 (26.07%). Earth had the fewest at 302 (22.62%) then Air at 329 (24.64%). These results are still pretty evenly distributed; none have the overwhelming majority. 

With Sun sign modality the results are pretty evenly distributed with cardinal and fixed signs being basically tied at 34.90% and 34.98% respectively. Mutable sun signs have a bit fewer dreams at 30.11%

Dreams by Moon sign element + modality


For Moon sign element, fire comes out on top with 366 (27.41%) and water has the fewest at 293 (21.95%). Besides fire, the totals for dreams for Moon sign elements are basically the inverse of the totals for Sun sign elements. 
 
What is it about the element of fire that links these two luminaries? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Once again the totals for Moon sign modality seems to be the inverse of the totals for Sun sign modality. Mutable sun signs had the fewest dreams, but mutable Moon signs had the most. Once again, cardinal and fixed signs are basically tied at 32.66% and 32.73% respectively. Very interesting!

Prevalence of Out of Bounds Planets
 
Out of bounds planets are those that are found beyond the maximum ecliptic limit of 23°26-28' by declination. Declination is the measure of the distance of a planet from the celestial equator. (For an in-depth intro to declination and its astrological application check out this video by David Cochrane.) In a very small nutshell, any celestial body found beyond 23°26' North or South as viewed from earth is out of bounds, and therefore said to behave particularly erratically. These planets end up being unusual, highly energized, and pretty weird. 
 
Because of this I was curious to see if I had more or less dreams during periods where one or more celestial body was out of bounds. According to Kt Boehrer, who pioneered the study of declination in astrology and coined the term "out of bounds", planets are found in this condition about 30% of the time. Not very often. 

The total number of dreams I had where one or more planets was out of bounds was 476 out of 1335 (35.65%). This is a bit over the average, but not by a striking amount. Many of the days I had high numbers of dreams (6 or more) had at least one OOB planet, but many did not. Did the highly energized/unusual condition of these planets give me more dreams than usual? Not really. I don't think there is much of a correlation here, but I will keep looking as I add more years worth of data.
 
The planet that was found out of bounds most often was Venus with 200 total dreams followed by Mercury. The Moon was out of bounds the least amount of time. I was expecting the Moon to be OOB most often, not the least, so there's definitely more for me to explore.

Prevalence of eclipses
 
The total number of dreams I had during eclipses was 17 out of 1335 (1.27%). Hardly any at all. Eclipses don't seem to have much influence on my dreams. In fact, I seem to be much LESS likely to remember my dreams during eclipses. However, I did record many more dreams during Lunar eclipses than Solar eclipses. Solar eclipses had only 5 dreams total and Lunar eclipses had 12. 

Closing thoughts
 
These findings are just the beginning of what I intend to be a much longer and bigger research project. This study is currently extremely limited because I am only sampling my own dreams. I don't have access to anyone else's extensive dream journals. What would be ideal is doing this research for thousands of diverse people for at least 20 years. Until then, maybe this project will inspire someone with more resources than me to explore in their own way. 
 
I would love to see more astrologers keep detailed records of their dream journals too. You might be surprised by what you find! Pisces for example. I hardly have any dreams during Pisces season, but maybe someone with more Pisces planets will have significantly more. Do I have the majority of my dreams during Cancer season because I am a Cancer rising? There is a lot to explore.
 
I am not done with this yet. I still plan to look through all of my nightmares and night terrors to see if there are any astrological correlations there. I also am curious to explore correlations to lucid dreams, shared dreams, precognitive dreams, and more. 

If there are any other factors, astrological or otherwise, that you think I should explore, let me know in the comments.
 
Stay tuned for more and thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular Posts